Tuesday 14 May 2013

Why I'm an Aashiq of Aashiqui 2 (!!)

I sincerely apologize for the crappy tittle...I couldn't really help myself on that one!

Oh Arnold WhateverYourLastNameIs!

I don't feel that this one needs a spoiler alert, the moment you utter the movie's tittle someone around you blurts the climax of the story.  However, being professional (not really) I'll give thee two warnings:
  • I know nothing about screenplay, direction and the associated blah. This is strictly from the perspective of a sixteen year old.
  • Spoiler alert!! Do NOT read beyond this point if you intend to watch this film.
I really don't understand their tagline! -.-

The story is no Taare Zameen Par, but it is still unconventional. It is filled with cliche(s), wet sari scenes and the lot... but what makes this movie worthwhile is it's end. There are VERY few Bollywood films, particularly in the romance genre, in which the hero dies. 

Now, I'm not a psychopath who likes to watch people/characters die but I feel that Rahul's (played excellently by Aditya Roy Kapur) death was *scrambles through her limited vocabulary for the perfect word * logical. The end was tough, but the movie needed it and the suicide is what gives the movie its cutting edge. Because (as far as I know) this is what happens, it is believable (despite it's beginning, which is straight out of a Mills & Boons book) - A singing sensation becomes a drunkard, falls in love with an amazing girl (another singer ofcourse), makes her a super star....enter ego clashes ..followed by a drunken brawl and our "abla naari" bailing the hero out of jail, then a few "oh! I can make everything alright by ditching my career" from Aarohi's side, and then Rahul jumps off a bridge. 
Quoting Asmita Jain, "No Ekta Kapoor element, in there!"

Nope, this isn't the actual scene, but it looked pretty much the same really!


What made my day was Aarohi's reaction to Rahul's death...instead of crying "tumne aisa kyu kiya, ab toh meri zindagi mein kuch bacha nah" etcetra, she calls him a coward. She does shed a few tears (tries to run away once, rescued by RJ's best friend-cum manager, Vivek's lengthy monologue) but she moves on. There is a beautiful segment with her living Rahul's dream, i.e, singing for a humongous crowd in a stadium...just like he did at the peak of his career. The film ends with Aarohi signing her name as "Aarohi Rahul Jaykar" in a fan's handbook as a tribute to Rahul and her unsung desire to be Rahul's wife.




Aditya Roy Kapoor is decent as a drunk rockstar but I drooled a little over his "aashiq" avtaar (this has everything to do with me being sixteen *dreamy eyes* ). Shraddha Kapoor looks beautiful throughout, however, the way she spoke made me wonder if she's a retard or something. The couple looks wonderful together and they made me feel as if this kind of intense, pure, selfless and heart wrenching love can actually exist. I can't talk much about the technical details but I will mention that there were points where I felt like "..I can get popcorn right now, won't miss much" and I did. The music is bearable, hopeless romantic stuff not my type to be honest....but I loved the piano version of "Tum Hi Ho". The movie has a dash of old-world flavor, so concluding with Resham Sengar, of Zee News, ka review:                                      

  "Aashiqui 2 must be watched only for three reasons: a) If you love Aditya Roy Kapoor; b) If the songs are of your liking; c) Just out of curiosity.
 
those.eyes! *swoons*



1 comment:

  1. I am not watching this movie in any case..Even though I write romance and I should watch romance but from what I have heard I can't handle so much of sappy stuff...
    I do not like Aditya Kapoor and I seriously wanna know why so many girls are gaga over him?
    Okay, may be I am weird :P
    Music..pretty fine
    But no, I am not going for the movie.
    :P :D
    As for your review, amazing one..loved reading it
    :)
    You've found a follower in me :D :D
    Keep writing!!!!

    ReplyDelete